Sunday, January 24, 2010

SAYINGS !

Little, non-sensical expressions that add a dash of whimsy to conversation. Where do they originate? Do you use them? Which ones are your favorites? How did I happen upon this topic?

The Christmas gift of a small, desk top horoscope calendar awakened me to the humor found in sayings. On January 1, 2010, my horoscope stated I was "the bees knees." Needless to say, it made me laugh. Exactly what are the "the bees knees?" It was so delightful, I decided it must be a good thing.

From there I began writing down sayings that popped into my head.

Knee high to a grasshopper.

See you later alligator, after while crocodile.

You're history. I'm out of here.

Bone tired.

SNAP!

...and the following two I gleaned from a spontaneous discussion of "Sayings" that occurred in an Old Port gift shop:

Don't get your knickers in a snicker! (There's some age on that one!)

Step on all the stones and you'll never get home.

Do you have any favorties? Share them with me. Lighten your conversations with these light-hearted expressions. Spread the joy. It gets us through winter gloom and stressful moments.

Things may not be perfect, but I'm off to a very good start. After all, I'm the "bees knees!"